Cosmetic & Restorative Dentistry in Chula Vista CA
Be proud of your smile again with Estrella Dental, your partners in oral health.
Whether you are looking to have your teeth whitened, straightened, or repaired, the expert dental team at Estrella Dental can help you. We are always here to assist those in not only their general dental hygiene, but also in cosmetic and restorative dental services as well. We provide a number of services such as dental implants, root canals, dentures, metal-free fillings, TMJ treatment, sports mouthguards, and more. If you need the assistance of a qualified and experienced dental team, contact us today or learn more about your desired cosmetic dental service.
If you have been dreaming of a better smile, teeth whitening is an easy and low-risk treatment option for you. At Estrella Dental, we offer two proven teeth whitening services for our cosmetic dentistry patients: power whitening and take-home trays. To discuss which option might be right for you, call our office in Chula Vista today.
What is power whitening?
Power whitening is an in-office teeth whitening treatment that sounds much more intense than it actually is. During this treatment, your dentist will apply a power bleach solution to your teeth which contains hydrogen peroxide. Unlike whitening toothpastes or at-home whitening strips, which contain trace amounts of hydrogen peroxide, this solution normally contains between 30 and 35 percent of the whitening agent. The name “hydrogen peroxide” certainly makes it sounds like a harmful substance, but this process is perfectly safe and involves protecting your gums from exposure to the hydrogen peroxide. After the solution is applied, we use a dental laser to activate the hydrogen peroxide. As the solution is exposed to the laser, the hydrogen peroxide turns into oxygen, and thus breaks down stains on your tooth enamel. This dental procedure involves at least one appointment at the dental office, but the teeth whitening effects of the procedure lasts for years.
What are take-home whitening trays?
The second option for your teeth whitening procedure is take-home whitening trays. As the name suggests, these trays are designed for you to whiten your teeth in the comfort of your own home — as you sleep, even. While you can buy over-the-counter take-home trays, the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry advises that getting at-home whitening trays from your dentist is both safer and more effective. The key to this cosmetic dental procedure involves customizing trays so that they fit your teeth perfectly. We do this by examining and cleaning your teeth, and then taking an impression of your teeth to create a mold for the tray. Once we have your custom mold, we then give you a bleaching gel to put in the tray at your convenience, usually a few hours a day for up to two weeks.
Which Teeth Whitening Treatment Should I Choose?
Both power teeth whitening and take-home whitening trays are completely effective and safe procedures. At Estrella Dental, we know that each customer has different priorities when it comes to cosmetic dental treatment. Use this comparison chart below to see whether power whitening or take-home whitening might be better for you, and feel free to call our office in Chula Vista if you want more advice about teeth whitening procedures.
Consider power whitening if:
- You want white teeth ASAP. Power whitening can be done in a few dental office visits, so you can leave with teeth shades whiter than you did walking through the door.
- You aren’t great with time management. With power whitening, your dentist does the entire tooth whitening procedure. All you have to do is show up. This might be a good option if you know you might forget at-home teeth whitening or lose interest after a few days.
- You have sensitive teeth. The main side effect of any tooth whitening procedure is sensitive teeth. If you already have extremely sensitive teeth, it might be better to be under dental supervision.
Consider at-home whitening trays if:
- Your days are really busy. If it’s hard for you to get into the dentist’s office during the day, at-home teeth whitening might be a good option. Once you get your custom teeth whitening trays, you can do all the whitening yourself at home. Plus, you can whiten your teeth as you sleep, so you aren’t trying to squeeze in oral health during a hectic day.
- You have anxiety about the dentist. While we do our best to ensure each patient is comfortable, we understand that sometimes people just don’t like going to the dentist. If this is the case, at-home teeth whitening trays might be a more manageable option for you.
- You have particular physical needs. If sitting or laying in a dental chair for a procedure is hard for you for whatever reason, it might make sense to choose at-home whitening trays. This way, you can get the same result without needing to compromise your physical comfort. While making the impressions for your custom tray requires a dental office visit, at least you can do the rest of the whitening from home.
Six Month Smiles® are clear braces for adults, designed to straighten your smile in around six months. Designed thoughtfully with your adult lifestyle and priorities in mind, Six Month Smiles® is an affordable and premier teeth straightening system. Estrella Dental offers this cosmetic dental system, and we see how it changes patients lives every day. Check out the patient story below to see how teeth straightening can change your life.
If you want to learn more about Six Month Smiles® and how Estrella Dental can support your cosmetic dentistry dreams, call our office in Chula Vista today.
“Porcelain veneers” sounds really fancy, but a veneer is simply a thin cover (in this case, made of porcelain). In cosmetic dentistry, porcelain veneers can help to totally transform a smile and reshape discolored, misshapen, or unevenly spaced teeth. For many patients who want a total transformation, porcelain veneers are a great alternative to other cosmetic procedures, such as braces or teeth whitening. With porcelain veneers, you can get white teeth and a straight smile all in one type of dental procedure.
We offer porcelain veneers because they are a great option for some of our patients, but we still think it is important to explore the advantages and disadvantages of getting porcelain veneers. Consider the pros and cons below before you decide on this cosmetic dental procedure. As always, call Estrella Dental if you have any further questions and be sure to ask one of our dentists about porcelain veneers the next time you are in our office.
Pros of Porcelain Veneers:
- Relatively Quick Process. Porcelain veneers can be prepared and placed in a few dental appointments. Compared to conventional braces and at-home teeth whitening, which can take years, porcelain veneers give you the smile of your dreams in weeks.
- Customizable features. Unlike other cosmetic dental procedures, porcelain veneers are made specifically for you. It is easy to customize both color and shape, so you can get the teeth you want that also fit with your general complexion and facial structure.
- Natural Appearance. Porcelain veneers look so natural that you might even forget you have them. They are designed to look just like natural teeth, and their customizable features listed above make it even easier to find a perfect look for you.
- Long-Lasting. An upfront investment, porcelain veneers are built to last. In fact, getting porcelain veneers supports the overall strength of your teeth and contribute to improved oral health.
Cons of Porcelain Veneers:
- Permanent. Nearly the only significant con of porcelain veneers is the irreversible nature of the process. In most cases, some of your existing tooth needs to be trimmed down and reshaped to properly fit the veneer. After your veneers are placed, then, they cannot be changed. This primary con is also a pro, though, because most patients are usually so happy with their transformed smile that they want the process to be as permanent as possible.
- Price. Porcelain veneers can be an expensive cosmetic treatment option depending on your oral health needs and desires. They are certainly a worthy investment, but an investment nonetheless. If you have any questions about price or financing, please contact Estrella Dental.
Where porcelain veneers are a great option for a total smile makeover, porcelain crowns and bridges represent a smart dental treatment for anyone with missing or damaged teeth. Crowns cover the surface of an existing tooth, and they repair damage, strengthen the tooth, and improve overall appearance. We use porcelain bridges when a tooth is entirely missing. Maybe you are a hockey player who took a puck to the face or maybe a tooth is just showing signs of natural decay. In any case, we recommend porcelain crowns or bridges to improve your oral health.
We offer porcelain crowns and bridges because porcelain is a much safer and more effective material than metal. We do not offer metal or mercury fillings because of the proven research that they are bad for your oral health. Porcelain has many advantages, including its natural look and durability.
Signs that you need a porcelain crown
One of the benefits of regular oral exams and preventative dental care is that your dentist can more easily spot when a tooth shows signs of decay, infection, or structural weakness. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms below, you might need a porcelain crown. While porcelain crowns can be a part of a cosmetic dental procedure, often they also improve oral health and represent a necessary course of action when it comes to your dental health. Here are the signs that you might need a porcelain crown:
Estrella Dental considers porcelain bridges when a tooth is fully missing. While it can seem embarrassing to get treated for tooth loss, there are actually many predispositions that can explain what might have caused a missing tooth. In the case of tooth loss, the dentists at Estrella Dental implant porcelain bridges — essentially, a tooth replacement held into place by the surrounding teeth. We also stress the importance of preventative care and general dentist check-ups to minimize the need for this dental procedure. Below are the risk factors for tooth loss; if you believe you fit a number of these risk factors, contact your dentist to set up an appointment today.
If you currently have a missing tooth that you would like to replace or consider yourself at-risk for any of the factors mentioned above, consider scheduling an appointment with a dental office. Ask your dentist about porcelain bridges and whether you might be a good candidate.
- You are male
- You are 35 or older
- You haven’t received dental care in a long time
- You do not use a toothbrush regularly
- You have rheumatoid arthritis
- You smoke or have smoked
- You have high blood pressure
- You have diabetes
Unlike porcelain crowns and bridges, which are added or attached to existing teeth, dental implants usually involve a more rigorous surgical procedure. They can be the best option, though, for patients who want a secure fit, might not have surrounding teeth to support porcelain bridges, or who find regular dental implants uncomfortable. Estrella Dental has years of experience performing dental surgery, and we know it can be a tough decision to go through with this type of cosmetic dental procedure. We are here for you throughout the process, so please call our dental office in Chula Vista if you have any questions or concerns about dental implants.
There are two types of dental implants recommended by the American Dental Association: subperiosteal and endosteal implants. Below, we differentiate between the two so you can see what might be your best dental implant option.
- Subperiosteal: With this type of dental implant, the oral surgeon fixes a metal frame to your jawbone. Next, the dentist attaches posts to the frame and then places the dental implants onto the post.
- Endosteal: Whereas subperiosteal dental implants use a metal frame, the endosteal implant procedure directly implants into the jawbone. Then, the oral surgeon connects posts to the jawbone implant and attaches artificial teeth to the post.
How are dental implants different from dentures?
While dental implants help to replace individual or a few teeth, dentures are a great option if you have lost all of your natural teeth. Beyond beautifying your smile, getting dentures also helps to restore facial structure, allows you to speak more easily, and encourages you to eat any food you want — even the crunchy snacks you might not be able to enjoy after losing your natural teeth.
When people have nightmares about the dentist, “root canal” is probably the first image to pop up. At Estrella Dental, we understand the anxiety surrounding this term. Therefore, our goal with every root canal procedure is to comfort our patients, clear up misconceptions about root canals, and ultimately perform a minimally invasive dental procedure to improve your oral health.
What is a root canal?
A root canal is a dental procedure used to treat cavities or tooth decay. During the procedure, your dentist will clear out the decayed or infected parts of the tooth and then reseal the tooth with a crown or filling. The purpose of a root canal is to heal and strengthen your tooth, supporting your oral health and minimizing pain associated with cavities and weakened teeth.
What are the common misconceptions about root canals?
Because of the unfortunate reputation root canals have amongst dental patients, people assume they are incredibly painful or dangerous. This is not the case — if anything, root canals help to prevent more painful and dangerous tooth decay down the road. If you have any fear about root canals, read the common misconceptions below
- “Root Canals are extremely painful.” Maybe in the 1800’s when dentists did not have access to numbing agents and modern technology, root canals were indeed painful. Nowadays, though, dentists can manage your pain by using a local anesthetic. When your mouth is numb, you feel a slight pressure but certainly not stabbing pain. It is also common to set up a hand signal with your dentist, so if you do feel pain you can quickly and effectively communicate this.
- “It doesn’t make sense to keep a decaying tooth. Just remove it instead.” This misconception could not be further from the truth. While it might seem easier to just remove the tooth and place a dental implant, we believe is it better to keep and heal existing teeth than to remove them entirely. Similarly, it takes less time to perform a root canal than it does to properly insert a dental.
Hopefully we have helped to ease any fear you have about root canals. Be sure to speak with your dentist at your next check up if you have any serious cavities and think you might need a root canal. At Estrella Dental, we perform these dental procedures often and can provide you and your family resources about root canals.
Our local dentist office in Chula Vista offers treatment for jaw pain associated with TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder. Consider the symptoms below to assess whether you might have TMJ, and contact our general dentistry practice to hear about treatment options
Symptoms of TMJ include:
- Jaw pain or soreness
- Pain located by your ear, on your jawbone.
- Aching near or inside of your ear
- Having a difficult time chewing or experiencing pain as you chew
- Pain that feels like a dull ache around your face
- Joint locking, cracking, or sticking around your jaw
TMJ can be extremely uncomfortable and even debilitating. Call Estrella Dental today to see how we can help with your TMJ pain.
Sports mouthguards might not be the coolest athletic gear, but they are certainly among the safest and most protective. Imagine a skydiver not wearing a parachute, and that’s the same image we have when we picture an athlete without a mouthguard. For this reason, some sports leagues require mouthguards in order to participate. Whether you play soccer, football, baseball, basketball, or virtually any sport with any contact, we highly recommend wearing a protective mouthguard. Our dental practice makes custom fit mouthguards, so you will not have the discomfort of an ill-fitting mouthguard that might fall out of your mouth or make you gag.
Sports mouthguards can help prevent against:
- Chipped and broken teeth
- Injuries to your lips, tongue, and cheeks
- Jawbone fractures or breaks
You can easily prevent serious dental emergencies and injuries by visiting Estrella Dental and getting a custom-fit sports mouthguard.
Recent Blog Posts
When you think of braces, what images come to your mind? If you pictured a pre-teen with a mouth full of metal, we don’t blame you. After all, it’s much more common for individuals to wear traditional braces in adolescence. However, modern teeth-straightening...read more
Would you believe us if we told you that dentists were originally barbers? While dental hygiene has been mentioned in history since 5000 B.C., it became more institutionalized around 1210 in France. According to the American Dental Association (ADA) and its timeline...read more
Older adults, defined as 65 years of age or older, are much more susceptible to dental health issues than younger generations. Of course we know the effect of old age on health, but we sometimes forget to take general dental care into account as we prepare for older...read more