Our goal at Estrella Dental is for you to never visit a dentist again. This might be bad for business, but it’s right for the Chula Vista community.
Learn more about our family dental practice and the services we offer.
At Estrella Dental, Drs. Miguel and Jaime Estrella believe that healthy teeth and gums are the foundation of oral health. We also believe that dental care is important for every member of your family. Dental oral exams allow us to teach good oral hygiene practices and treat dental issues before they get worse. It is far better to schedule an appointment for a cleaning now than to need a tooth extraction later on.
What is preventative dentistry?
Preventative dentistry means caring for your teeth and developing good oral health. The most common and frequent part of preventative dentistry is brushing your teeth at least two times a day. It’s not just important that you brush your teeth, though, but also that you’re doing so correctly. At Estrella Dental, we show you the best way to brush your teeth — which involves brushing each tooth individually — recommend American Dental Association (ADA)-approved toothpastes and toothbrushes, and, of course, remind you to floss. We strongly believe that dentists have the responsibility to teach good oral health, which is why we offer preventative and general dental services in Chula Vista. We welcome new patients of any age at our dental clinic, so schedule a new patient exam for you or a loved one today today!
How can preventative dentistry help me?
Having a good oral health routine saves you trips to the dentist later on because it helps to prevent common dental issues such as:
• Cavities and root canals
• Gingivitis and gum decay
• Losing enamel
• Bad breath
• Teeth Extractions
The Cost of Bad Oral Health
These figures show that the cost of bad oral health is significant. It is far more cost-effective to schedule dental care now than to wait for matters to get worse. Spending $59 dollars on an oral exam now compared to $251 to remove a cavity-ridden tooth later makes financial sense, not to mention overall common sense. At the least, an annual oral exam helps to ensure you get the preventative dental care you need. Don’t wait: schedule preventative dental treatment today!
Prices from “2013 Survey of Dental Fees” http://www.aapd.org/assets/1/7/PolicyCenter-2013_Survey_of_Dental_Fees.pdf
In addition to general dentistry, Estrella Dental performs cosmetic and restorative dental procedures. We believe that having a good looking smile contributes to overall oral health and happiness. Our dental office provides teeth whitening services in addition to teeth straightening and veneer procedures. If you have any concerns about your smile, see how Estrella Dental’s cosmetic dental services can help you feel more confident and healthy today.
Having discolored or stained teeth might seem like a reality of life, but at Estrella Dental we believe everyone should have a smile they love and feel comfortable displaying. This is why our Chula Vista practice offers a professional teeth whitening service that is fast, safe, and gentle. After teeth whitening, you no longer have to feel self-conscious when meeting new people, giving a presentation, or, most importantly, looking in the mirror.
Frequently Asked Questions about Teeth Whitening
Because there are so many teeth whitening options available today, from teeth whitening toothpastes to over-the-counter kits, it is important to distinguish between the options so you can find the best teeth whitening service for you. Drs. Miguel and Jaime Estrella have offered professional teeth whitening services for the Chula Vista community for years, and we have fielded the most common questions that patients ask about teeth whitening services.
1. What’s the difference between professional and over-the-counter teeth whitening?
As with nearly any prescription versus over-the-counter medication, the difference between professional versus at-home teeth whitening involves the strength and effectiveness of the product. Drug stores can only offer medications up to a certain strength, so the teeth whitening kits they offer have much less teeth whitening power. This is why you can diligently follow the instructions of an at-home teeth whitening kit and still be left with the same stains and discoloration months later.
Additionally, professional teeth whitening services are performed by licensed dentists, which means they know exactly what to look for and how to manage the teeth and gum sensitivity that may come with teeth whitening procedures. Ultimately, then, the difference boils down to quality and effectiveness of care. At Estrella Dental, we offer professional teeth whitening services because we truly believe that it is a more effective and long-lasting procedure than you can get with an at-home teeth whitening kit.
2. Are there any side effects associated with teeth whitening?
According to the American Dental Association’s (ADA) Statement on the Safety and Effectiveness of Tooth Whitening Products, the most common side effect associated with a teeth whitening procedure involves short-term tooth and gum sensitivity. Most patients report that this sensitivity goes away after treatment. In terms of medical procedures, this is very safe and low-risk for patients.
The ADA does recommend that patients consult dentists before seeking teeth whitening treatment, especially if they have fillings, crowns, and dark stains already. Indeed, the ADA states that, “a thorough oral examination, performed by a licensed dentist, is essential to determine if bleaching is an appropriate course of treatment.” If you are considering teeth whitening, be sure to ask about your options at your next dental appointment.
3. Why are my teeth discolored even if I have good dental care routines?
Having stained or discolored teeth does not necessarily mean you have bad oral hygiene, so there is no need to be embarrassed. The need for teeth whitening can arise from many different factors, including:
• Drinking beverages such as coffee, wine, or soda
• Genetics and family history
The good news is that whatever might have caused your discoloration can be reversed with professional teeth whitening services. This procedure whitens the enamel that can otherwise be stained by external factors and the natural process of aging.
4. Does teeth whitening hurt?
The quick answer to this question is “no.” Unlike more invasive dental procedures like wisdom teeth removal or cavity fillings, teeth whitening does not involve drilling or need for numbing. If anything, you might experience tooth sensitivity which usually subsides after the process.
If you have any questions about teeth whitening, the dentists at Estrella Dental are happy to provide more information. Call today for any questions or to schedule professional teeth whitening services.
In addition to teeth whitening services, Estrella Dental offers teeth straightening services as part of its cosmetic dentistry practice. Six Month Smiles is an invisible teeth straightening system, like braces but without the “metal mouth” look or associated cost. If you have been considering braces for awhile but fear you are too old, too busy, or on too much of a budget, consider Six Month Smiles as a better alternative.
If you have always dreamed about a straight smile but were too daunted by the cost, time, and ugly appearance of braces to actually consider it, Six Month Smiles is an excellent alternative. Estrella Dental is proud to offer this option to its patients, as we know that having straight teeth is key to feeling comfortable with your smile.
If you want to completely transform your smile, from tooth color to shape, porcelain veneers are a dental treatment to consider. You can think of porcelain veneers as customized teeth; ones you can be excited to show off as you smile. The idea of completely changing your teeth might seem daunting, but porcelain veneers are a proven and safe way to get the smile of your dreams.
Who should consider porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers can help with a variety of cosmetic dentistry concerns. If you are experiencing any of the issues listed below, consider porcelain veneers as a dental treatment option:
• Big gaps between teeth
• Teeth that are broken, chipped, or fragmented
• Teeth that are crooked or out of alignment
• Teeth that are discolored or stained
What can I expect with this dental treatment?
Going through with a porcelain veneer dental treatment is a big decision, and the dentists at Estrella Dental understand this commitment. This is why we schedule multiple appointments and take our time with the dental treatment — you have committed to getting the smile of your dreams, and we want to ensure you get it. Here is what to expect from the dental treatment:
• Step One: Planning. During this initial consultation, we will talk with you and get a sense of what type of smile you want. You can show us examples or just simply describe your perfect smile. As part of the planning process, we will also examine your teeth to assess what form of dental treatment and porcelain veneers will best meet your needs and desires.
• Step Two: Preparing Your Teeth. After we figure out a plan for your porcelain veneers, we will start the dental treatment by preparing your teeth. This involves trimming down your existing enamel so we can properly place the veneer on your tooth later on. Our state-of-the-art dental technology is crucial to this portion of the dental treatment, as we also make an impression of your tooth to help construct the veneer.
• Step Three: Placing the Veneer. This final step of the dental procedure involves actually placing and sealing the veneer onto your tooth. We position, polish, and etch the veneer so that it bonds to your tooth and creates an even bite.
Because placing porcelain veneers is a multi-step dental treatment, you can expect multiple dental appointments throughout the process. It is important to have a dentist you can trust for this type of procedure, and Estrella Dental understands the significance a treatment like this can have on your life. Contact our dental office today and we can support you through each step of getting porcelain veneers.
Porcelain crowns are fillings for teeth that might be cracked or have large cavities. Bridges, on the other hand, are a dental implant for entirely missing teeth. In each case, porcelain crowns and bridges have undeniable advantages over other types of materials like metal or gold. If you are looking for tooth replacement or dental crowns, consider the advantages of porcelain crowns and bridges.
Advantages to Porcelain
• Natural Looking: Porcelain crowns and bridges are nearly impossible to identify compared to regular teeth. For cosmetic dentistry, the goal is to achieve a beautiful and healthy smile, and having a natural looking teeth is the key to meet this goal.
• Natural Texture: In addition to looking natural, porcelain teeth also feel almost the same as natural tooth enamel. We can shape porcelain veneers with incredible detail, so they can feel just like a natural tooth. As such, getting a porcelain crown or bridge does not make you feel as if you have a foreign object implanted in your mouth.
• Strength and Longevity: Porcelain crowns and bridges are incredibly strong, especially compared to other filling material like metal. By getting porcelain bridges and veneers, you don’t compromise on the strength that natural tooth enamel would otherwise offer.
At Estrella Dental, we do not just simply perform a teeth cleaning and send you on your way. Our comprehensive dental exams also include X-rays, oral cancer screenings, gum disease screenings, and tooth decay examinations. Our priority is always to put our patients first and provide proper preventative dental care, and comprehensive dental exams are the best way to do this.
What are the benefits of a comprehensive dental exam?
X-Rays: X-rays help dentists to see enamel decay, bone loss, cavities, and any other issues that might be hard to detect by the human eye alone. We also think the ability to see an x-ray helps patients to understand what is actually happening in their mouths.
Oral Cancer Screenings: Dentists are trained to recognize and treat the signs of oral cancer right away, which is why Estrella Dental oral exams all include this easy scan. It is way better to prevent oral cancer during a comprehensive oral exam than to discover it later on.
Gum Disease Screenings and Periodontal Care: During the dental cleaning, we also scan gums and surrounding bones to check for any sign of gum disease. Estrella Dental can recognize these signs and provide tips for preventative care.
Professional dental cleanings are a staple of strong oral hygiene. During each dental cleaning, Estrella Dental removes plaque that builds in hard-to-reach places with our specialized cleaning instruments, polishes teeth to remove any stains, and applies a fluoride gel or foam to minimize tooth decay and sensitivity. We believe professional dental cleanings are important for everyone, which is why our dental office sees patients from all age groups.
Schedule a professional dental cleaning today for you and your children at Estrella Dental.
Nobody enjoys hearing that they have to get a tooth removed. Tooth extraction can bring about tremendous anxiety, as images of drills and dental hooks race around in your mind. Estrella Dental invests in top-of-the-line technology and dental instruments precisely to alleviate the worry that tooth extraction can bring. Drs. Jaime and Miguel Estrella walk you through what to expect for every step of the dental procedure, from the application of a local anesthetic to the tooth extraction — which luckily feels much more like a dull pressure than sharp pain.
If you have any questions about tooth extraction or want to schedule a procedure today, contact Estrella Dental.
Estrella Dental does offer sedation dentistry for patients who might have severe anxiety or other concerns when it comes to visiting the dentist. We want our patients to feel comfortable and safe in our dental office, so we will gladly discuss your options for sedation dentistry to figure out which option might fit with your particular needs.
Types of Sedation Available During Dental Treatment:
• Minimal Sedation: This often includes nitrous oxide — or laughing gas — which helps you to relax your body and mind. Dentists control the level of laughing gas you receive, so you are always monitored and comfortable.
• Oral Sedation: Oral sedation involves taking a pill to help you relax, similar to taking Valium. You should expect the pill to make you drowsy, but you will still be conscious during the procedure.
• IV Sedation: If oral sedation is not right for you, your dentist might consider intravenous sedation. Because you receive the sedation through an IV, the dentist can easily control and monitor your level of sedation intake.
• Full Sedation: Full sedation includes general anesthesia, which means you will most likely be entirely unconscious during the procedure. This is the most extreme form of sedation, and it will require a ride home at the end of the dental treatment.
There is nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to dental anxiety. Many people are afraid to go to the dentist, and we understand this worry. We believe it is far better to schedule an appointment to discuss sedation dentistry services than to leave your dental hygiene unchecked. Call Estrella Dental today and we can discuss the best dental treatment option for you.